What to Do Before Contacting Auto Accident Attorneys in Upper Marlboro MD
Auto accidents can be very confusing. Often, the cause of the accident is difficult to determine because things happen very quickly. Also, victims may be disoriented and not sure how to proceed. This is exacerbated if there are any injuries. Here is a list of things to do after an auto accident and before contacting auto accident attorneys in Upper Marlboro MD.
After an Accident
- Stop: It is important to always stop after an automobile accident. Even the person who caused the accident should stop, because, no matter how bad the consequences might seem from an accident, they will be much worse if the accident is a hit-and-run.
- Check and Protect: Check to see whether anyone in the vehicle has sustained any injuries, then check on the people in other vehicles involved in the accident. Check to see if the vehicles have created a hazardous condition. Take steps to protect people if the assessment reveals dangers.
- Report: If an accident is serious, contact the police and emergency services by calling 911. Reporting less serious accidents may not be legally required, but can protect rights.
- Secure: This refers to both the scene of the accident and personal safety and security. If possible, preserve the scene of the accident so that it can be investigated. However, safety has to come first. If vehicles and people need to be moved to avoid additional accidents or injuries, then do so.
- Save: Create a record of the scene of the accident. Everyone carries a cell phone; use the camera on the cell phone to take pictures of the vehicles before moving them, as well as any relevant conditions that may have impacted the accident, such as inclement weather or hazardous road conditions.
- Exchange Information: Any drivers involved in the accident should trade names, contact information, and insurance information. If there are any witnesses present, get their contact information when possible.
- Get Medical Attention: If first responders suggest that medical attention is required or if a medical problem develops in the days following the accident, it is important to get medical care. Recovery for medical problems is much easier if they are documented in the immediate aftermath of an accident. More importantly, seemingly minor injuries can indicate serious medical problems and should be treated as soon as possible.
Find Out More
Check out website domain for more information about auto accident attorneys in Upper Marlboro MD.